Thursday, March 29, 2012

Wonky stars..

Well I finally got a few minutes to sew - I've been wanting to try these wonky star blocks that I saw here and here.  So after dinner I snuck up stairs to sew for a few minutes.  Of course when you only have a few minutes things never go quite as planned - it's Murphy's law.

I cut 4 1/2" squares -
 8 squares of the back ground fabric
4 squares for the stars and
 1 square for the center

cut the squares for the stars in half diagonally



So then it was time to sew and I was like wait - I don't need to match up the edges and worry about things matching up - this was a liberating experience - I mean for all these years I've cut perfect shares, triangles and sewed them all to have perfect corners, etc.  This was new and exciting for me!  You've gotta try it if you haven't already.  



 Then I trimmed off the corner.


Then I ironed 


Then I sewed the other triangle on.  Do you see my goof???
I did it on all 4 squares!! LOL


Then I trimmed the extra off and ironed.


Then I squared them up to 4 1/2 inch squares.


Then sewed two star points onto the center square.



Then sewed a background  square to each side of the star points.

Yeah - finished super simple and I love the outcome!!!


Gotta go sew a few more before bedtime!

Thank you Silly BooDilly and Oh, Fransson for the great tutorial!

Cheers,
LYNN

2 comments:

  1. I love it set on point like that. It completely changes the look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do wonky (on purpose) but I love this wonky star. Now I'm going to have to make some too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love comments and feedback - don't be shy! I do read each and every one.