Sunday, June 17, 2012

Late night....

I've had some fabrics picked out for a while sitting on my cutting table.  But I had another quilt I need to finish before I could move onto something new.  I have to say It's all pinned and ready to be quilted.  I still have a couple of weeks before my deadline!  So I'm good!

So I couldn't sleep last night so I started about 10PM and went to bed at 1:30AM.  But look what I got done, I cut out all the pieces and laid out the quilt top!  I'm a little tired this morning but it felt so great to get this far!  I wanted to make a quilt that was quick and easy and I could use up some of my fabrics from my stash.

I decided on a tumbler quilt, I saw this really cute one over at Saltwater Quilts and thought it would be a fun easy quilt to make.


I took a 5" piece of cardboard to make my template, 
marking 1" in for the side on the top.



 The top of the tumbler is 3" and the bottom is 5". 




  Then I cut strips of fabric 5" wide and started cutting.
I cut multiple strips at once, between 4 and 6 layers.

 I found it easier to use a ruler with my cardboard temple, 
that way I didn't cut into the cardboard.

One Tumbler block!



Here's a whole bunch of them laid out.  
I will stack them in rows and number them. 
 Then sew the rows together.  
More to come later.

While I was sitting her typing this at the kitchen table I looked up to see I had a visiter...


Happy Fathers Day!
Enjoy your day everyone and thank you for stopping by!
LYNN


2 comments:

  1. When I make templates like that, I make them out of paper, then I tape them to the underside of the ruler, so I don't have to keep lining it up with the ruler to cut things out. Saves time and frustration, also I stack my fabrics 6-8 layers, so each swipe of the blade makes lots of pieces. I love middle of the night sewing sessions, when everyone else is in bed, and it is completely quiet in the house. I get lots of stuff done then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, I was cutting multiple layers at a time, just forgot to take a photo of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love comments and feedback - don't be shy! I do read each and every one.