Sunday, August 25, 2013

Paper Piecing Tip .......

I've been admiring the Kaleidoscope quilts I've seen on Pinterest.









As you can see there are so many possibilities!  I did some research and found several different methods of making this quilt.  

I prefer foundation paper piecing.  I used the template from Red Pepper Quilts and enlarged it and made the corner piece, two pieces. Her blocks were 4" and mine are 7" blocks.


I thought I would share a technique with you that I learned many moons ago, when you have lots of templates to make and don't have access to a copier or just don't want to use up all your ink in your printer!

I made a copy of the pattern, pin it on to copier paper, or freezer paper - whatever type of paper you prefer to use.  I found about 5 or 6 sheets works best.  



I then take it over to my sewing machine, unthreaded and set the stitch length to 3, Stitch along your sewing lines,



When you remove your original template your left with this.


Pretty cool...

Then I cut out the pieces, adding at least a 1/4" seam allowance.


Then your ready to paper piece.  If you would like more instructions on how to paper piece, you can go here, great video from Fons and Porter's. 

A couple of blocks I've made so far.  As you can see from the photos above there are lots of layout options.  



"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never have tried to succeed." 
Theodore Roosevelt

3 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to make one of these. I have one that my great grandmother made by hand, I cant imagine!! Your blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice tip! I've never heard this one before! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love comments and feedback - don't be shy! I do read each and every one.