Sunday, November 3, 2013

Scrappy Modern Maple Quilt...

I've had a thing for maple leaf quilts for quite awhile now. 
I've even made a couple, Judy Martins' book, Cookie and Quilts
But recently a more modern version has been popping up on Instagram and flickr.  
I thought what a quick and fun quilt to make.  
So I pulled out a stack of fabrics, 
made a block - 
this block


but it was missing something - I wanted something more, 
something different than all the others. 

 So my first thought was to make Mini log cabin blocks.  
It started with this block, I liked the idea but wanted something else…... 


So I started sewing random scraps together.  Boy did this take time, would have been much easier and a lot faster if I made them from a solid piece of fabric. 


 But I do have to say the end results were worth it.  


The blocks range in size from 3" to 12"
 Finished size is 60" x 72"

I made all this blocks from the scrap bins in my sewing room 
and it's sad to say I didn't even put a dent in them. 

Now on to the quilting it.
 I do all my quilting on my Janome MC 6600.

One of my favorite books on machine quilting is 



Thanks for stoping by,

My daughter wrapped up in one of her quilts, 
love it!

10 comments:

  1. Love your scrappy autumn leaves quilt. It was definitely worth the extra effort to piece the log cabin blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt is beautiful. All that piecing was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. OMG, Angela Walters stopped by my blog and left a comment! I feel so special, thank you for your lovely comments. Excellent book on machine quilting by the way!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I really like the twist you put on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love comments and feedback - don't be shy! I do read each and every one.